Thursday, May 23, 2013

7 Things You Will Never Find In My Kitchen....

I have, by no means, the perfect eating habits. I never claimed to. But here are 7 things you will never find in my kitchen.

  • Boxed Macaroni and Cheese: We used to eat it. Up until about 3 years ago. I was in the mood for something with a better taste than the boxed stuff. So, I set out to make my own. And ever since, the boxed stuff taste like cardboard - tasteless. Making mine really takes no more time than the box stuff. Boil the noodles and then about 5 minutes for the cheese sauce. 
  • Boxed Hamburger Helper: Another boxed meal we used to eat a lot. We bought some about 2 years ago. It was edible. It was just tasteless (I'm starting to think that everything in a box is tasteless). I went on a search for how to make homemade hamburger helper. And I have succeeded. No more cardboard taste here.
  • Boxed Suddenly Salad Pasta Salad: Chris used to love this stuff. He wanted it almost every day after working in the hot, humid temps. It was good. Then it started to lose its taste. Then, I decided I wanted to figure out how to make it more healthier. So, I learned to make it myself using no more time than the boxed stuff.
  • Canned Veggies: We all know the order of veggies from best to worst, right? {Home grown, Farmer's Market, Fresh produce at store, frozen, canned} Yep, I don't do canned veggies. It's usually fresh or frozen. 
  • Packaged taco seasoning: Something about the taste threw me off. I found a recipe for oven fajitas where they made their own seasoning mix. I adapted it to my own tasting. Is so much better than the packaged mixes. 
  • Soda: When my husband went back to drinking strictly tea at home (kids too. I am strictly water), we stopped buying sodas altogether. We do occasionally treat ourselves to a 20 oz here or there. But, we do not buy them and keep them at home. 
  • Jarred spaghetti sauce: I don't think I have used this in over 10 years. For anything. Even recipes that call for a jar of sauce. I have and always will make my own. The same holds true for alfredo sauce. 
I am also in the process of cutting out gluten. Long tedious process of changing brands over. I also changed my milk from dairy milk to almond milk. The rest refuse to give up drinking cow's milk. I do plan to start cooking with almond milk over dairy milk. 

What changes have you made in your overall diet? What products would I not find in your kitchen?

** Note: The following recipes may find their way to the blog soon: Macaroni and Cheese, Homemade Hamburger Skillets, Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad, Taco Seasoning Mix, Alfredo Sauce. **

No comments: